R. Rodney Howell, M.D.
- Fax: 305-243-7254
- American Board of Pediatrics
- AB of Med Genetics & Genomics-Clinical Biochemical Genetics
- Clinical Biochemical Genetics-Medical Genetics
- Chair Emeritus, Pediatrics
- Professor of Pediatrics
New technologies related to newborn genetic testing; genetic modifiers of Mendelian disorders; Ethical and Legal Issues related to storage, use, and retention of newborn screening samples
Duke University School fo Medicine
Duke University Medical Center
National Institutes of Health
- Committee report: Considerations and recommendations for national guidance regarding the retention and use of residual dried blood spot specimens after newborn screening.
- Strategies for Implementing Screening for Critical Congenial Heart Diseases
- From developing guidelines to implementing legislation: actions of the US Advisory Committee on Heritable Disorders in Newborns and Children toward advancing and improving newborn screening.
- Developing a national collaborative study system for rare genetic diseases.
- Newborn screening: toward a uniform screening panel and system.
- List of Publications
Dr. Howell is Professor of Pediatrics and Chair Emeritus of the Department of Pediatrics. He is Board Certified both in Pediatrics as well as by the American Board of Medical Genetics in the area of Human Biochemical Genetics. He is the author of over 150 papers dealing with genetic-metabolic diseases in childhood. He served as Senior Advisor to the Director, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, M.D., (2004-2011). During this time, he oversaw some of the NICHD research initiative in newborn screening, which is by far the most common use of genetic testing today. He was the Founding Chair of the Advisory Committee on Heritable Disorders and Genetic Diseases in Newborns and Children. This Committee, which was established by the US Congress, is charged with providing advice to the Secretary of Health and Human Services on genetic testing in children, with a special focus on newborn screening. Dr. Howell serves as the national Chairman of the Board of the Muscular Dystrophy Association.