Victor H. Hernandez, M.D., MS
- Fax: 305-243-4535
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Orthopaedics
HealthTrust℠ Innovation Grant at the 2016 HealthTrust University Conference
EOA/OREF Resident/Fellow Award.
ISK Abstract Award of Excellence
Chairman Award. “Head, Hand and Heart 2013”.
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
Research Award Dr. Fernandez Filiberti. 2010- 2011
Research Award Dr. Fernandez Filiberti.2009-2010
2005 FOS Fellow Research Competition at the Florida Orthopaedics Society
University of Puerto Rico
Master of Science in Clinical and Translational Research
University of Puerto Rico
Orthopedic Research Fellowship
University of Puerto Rico
Universidad del Norte
- HIV and Orthopaedics: Musculoskeletal Manifestations and Outcomes. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016 May 4;98(9):775-86. Pretell-Mazzini J1, Subhawong T2, Hernandez VH3, Campo R4.
- Does the Medicare 3-Day Rule Increase Length of Stay? J Arthroplasty. 2015 Jun 12. Hernandez VH, Ong A, Post Z, Orozco F.
- When is it Safe for Patients to Drive after Right Total Hip Arthroplasty?. Hernandez VH, Ong A, Orozco F, Madden AM, Post Z. In press. Journal of Arthroplasty. November 2014.
- MRI Tendon Integrity Assessment after Arthroscopic Partial-Thickness Rotator Cuff Repair. Jaideep J Iyengar, M.D; Sharoun Porat, M.D.; Keith R Burnett, M.D.; Luis Marrero-Perez, M.D.; Victor H.Hernandez, M.D.; Wesley M Nottage, M.D. Journal of Arthoscopy and Related Surgery, Vol 27, No 3: pp 306-313. March 2011
- Arbona System Reengineered In The Garcia-Ariz Model: A National Health Reform Plan From An Orthopedics Program Perspective. Manuel Garcia-Ariz MD, Enrique Garcia MD,Victor Hernnandez-Polo MD, Franz Pino-Delgado MD,Omar Perez-Carrillo MD. Boletin Asociacion Medica De Puerto Rico #102 No 2. 2010
- Payment Analysis of Total Hip Replacement. Current Opinion in Orthopedics.Lavernia CJ; Hernndez VH; Rossi MD. 18(1): 23-27, February 2007.
- The Patellar Meniscus in Total Knee Arthoplasty. Lavernia CJ; Hern&amp;#225;ndez VH; Lee D; D’apuzzo M; Sheldon D; Krackow K; Hungerford D. The Journal of knee Surgery. Vol 20 (2); 142:146. April 2007.
- Cost Analysis of Navigation. Navigation and MIS in Orthopaedic Surgery. Lavernia CJ. Hernandez VH, Hommen JP. Chapter. Ed. Stiehl, Konermann, Haaker, DiGioia. Springer-Verlag. 61-67. 2007.
- Post-Discharge Costs in Arthroplasty Surgery. Lavernia C; Hern&amp;#225;ndez VH; D’apuzzo M Lee DJ.The Journal of Arthroplasty. Vol. 21, Issue 2, 306. February 2006.
- The Increasing Financial Burden of Knee Revision Surgery in the United States. Lavernia CJ; Lee DJ; Hernandez VH.Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 446:221-226. May 2006.
- Patient Perceived Outcomes in Thigh Pain after Primary Arthroplasty of the Hip. Lavernia CJ; Hern&#225;ndez VH; D’Apuzzo MR; Lee D. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 441:268-273. December 2005.
- Thigh Pain in Primary THA: The Effects of Elastic Moduli. Lavernia CJ, D'apuzzo MR, Hern&#225;ndez VH, Lee D. Journal of Arthroplasty. 19 (Supplement 2):10-6. October 2004.
Victor Hugo Hernandez, MD, MSc a Joint and Adult Reconstruction specialist and orthopaedic surgeon, is an assistant professor with UHealth Joint Replacement, a division of the Department of Orthopaedics at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
Originally from Colombia, Dr. Hernandez graduated from the Universidad del Norte, Colombia. He completed a research Fellow, internship and residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus and most recently, completed his fellowship in Joint Replacement and Adult Reconstruction at the Rothman Institute. While in residency, he also completed a Master’s Degree in Clinical and Translational research at the university of Puerto Rico.
Dr. Hernandez has received extensive training from experts in hip and knee joint reconstruction, including anterior hip approach, muscles sparing techniques, bilateral simultaneous knee replacement and complex revision, as well as patella-femoral and uni-compartimental arthoplasty.
Dr. Hernandez research has focus on outcomes, disparities and cost effectiveness analysis after joint reconstruction. He has recently won the HealthTrust℠ Innovation Grant at the 2016 HealthTrust University Conference, the $50,000 award provides a $25,000 grant and $25,000 in HealthTrust service line expertise to support the replication of best practices across the nation. He also won twice the Fernandez Filiberty’s award for his research with the Puerto Rican Orthopedic Society and during his fellowship he won the EOA/OREF Fellow Award, in recognition to his outstanding scientific contribution to the Eastern Orthopedic Association.
He has a strong interest in improve outcomes and cost-effectiveness after a hip or knee replacement surgery and also believes that each patient is unique, over the U-health system, we have development a system that stratify patients based on his needs, preoperative and postoperative risk to improve his outcomes and recovery period.
In addition to time spent caring for his patients, Dr. Hernandez has devoted himself to advancing the field of orthopaedic surgery and has contributed over 12 original, peer-reviewed scientific articles to medical literature and has authored book chapters in orthopaedic surgical texts. His research has been showcased in regional, national and international orthopaedic scientific meetings on over 100 occasions.
Dr. Hernandez is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, and the Alpha Omega Alpha medical society, within others.
His office locations include the University of Miami Hospital, UHealth at Kendall, and Boca Raton.