Michael E. Ivan, M.D.
- Fax: 305-243-3337
- Neurological Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery
- Chief of Service, Cranial and Neuro-oncology, Jackson South Community Hospital
- Co-chair of Neurosurgery, Jackson South Community Hospital
- Director of Research, The University of Miami Brain Tumor Initiative
Skull Base Tumors
Eloquent Tumors / Functional Mapping
Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy for Brain Tumors
Laser Tumor Ablation
Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery
Fluorescence Guided Surgery
Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
- Invasive qualities of malignant brain tumors
- Microenvironment of brain tumors
- Advanced neuro-imaging of brain tumors
- Tumor fluorescence (5-ALA)
- Neurooncologic clinical trial development
- Molecular and genetic targets for the treatment, monitoring, and prognosis of brain tumors
- Immune-modulated vaccine therapy for brain tumors tumors
- Laser thermal ablation for brain tumors
- Clinical outcomes of: primary brain tumors, metastatic brain tumors, meningiomas, pituitary tumors, open skull base surgery, endoscopic skull base surgery, MRI-guided laser tumor ablation, gamma knife radiosurgery, and awake craniotomies for complex brain tumors.
Scientific Planning Committee, AANS/YNC
Young Neurosurgeons Committee, AANS
Board of Directors, Florida Neurosurgical Society
Medical Student Task Force, AANS/YNC
Howard Naffziger Resident of the Year Award, UCSF Neurological Surgery
UCSF Award for research in functional and stereotactic neurosurgery
Teaching Award for Cherished Housestaff, UCSF School of Medicine
NREF Brain Tumor Research Grant
UC-Berkeley AMSA Health Conference –Speaker
Neurosurgery in the Rockies, Men’s Downhill Skiing Champion
Vycor Neurosurgery Resident Research Award
UC-Berkeley AMSA Health Conference – Keynote Speaker
Surgical Neuro-oncology Fellowship
University of Miami
University of California, San Francisco
University of California, San Francisco
Post-doctorate Neuro-oncology Research Fellowship
University of California, San Francisco
General Surgery Internship
University of California, San Francisco
New Jersey Medical School, Rutgers University
M.B.S., Biomedical Sciences
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Rutgers University
B.S. Chemical Engineering
- Shah AH, Komotar R, Ivan ME. Pseudotumor-like cerebrospinal fluid leak in meningiomas involving the posterior third of the superior sagittal sinus. Journal of Neurosurgery 2015. (in press)
- Safaee M, Fakurnejad S, Bloch O, Clark AJ, Ivan ME, Sun MZ, Oh T, Phillips JJ, Parsa AT. Proportional Upregulation of CD97 Isoforms in Glioblastoma and Glioblastoma-Derived Brain Tumor Initiating Cells. PLoS One. 2015 Feb 25;10(2):e0111532.
- Medvid R, Ivan ME, Jagid J, Komotar R, Ruiz A. Applications of MRI guided laser interstitial therapy in the treatment of brain pathology: a radiological and neurosurgical overview. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2015 Jun 25.
- Banerjee C, Snelling B, Berger MH, Shah A, Ivan ME, Komotar RJ. The Role of Magnetic Resonance-Guided Laser Ablation in Neurooncology. Br J Neurosurg. 2015 Feb 9:1-5.
- Sun MZ, Oh T, Ivan ME, Clark A, Safaee M, Sayegh ET, Kaur G, Parsa AT, Bloch O. Survival Impact of Time to Initiation of Chemoradiotherapy after Resection of Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma. J Neurosurg. 2015 May;122(5):1144-50.
- Choudhri O, Ivan M, Lawton MT. Transvenous Approach to Cerebral Arteriovenous Malformations (AVMs): Challenging Axioms of AVM Therapy? Neurosurgery. 2015 Jun 26
- Garcia RM, Ivan ME, Lawton MT. Brainstem Cavernous Malformations: Surgical Results in 104 Patients and a Proposed Grading System to Predict Neurological Outcomes. Neurosurgery. 2015 Mar;76(3):265-78
- Clark AJ, Safaee M, Oh T, Ivan ME, Parimi V, Ozawa T, James, CD, Bloch O, Parsa AT. Luciferase expression does not alter immunogenicity or in vivo growth of GL261 murine glioma cells. Journal of Translational Medicine 2014. Dec 3;12(1):345
- Ivan ME, Safaee M, Oh T, Clark AJ, Sun MZ, Kim J, Bloch O, Jahangiri A, Aghi MK, Parsa AT. Epidermal growth factor-like module containing mucin-like hormone receptor 2 role in predicting survival in invasive gliomas. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 2014.
- Oh T, Ivan ME, Sun MZ, Safaee M, Fakurnejad S, Clark AJ, Sayegh ET, Bloch O, Parsa AT. PI3K pathway inhibitors: potential prospects as adjuncts to vaccine immunotherapy for glioblastoma. Immunotherapy 2014. Jun;6(6) :737-53
- Sayegh ET, Kaur G, Ivan ME, Bloch O, Cheung SW, Parsa AT. Facial neuroma masquerading as acoustic neuroma. J Clin Neurosci. 2014 Oct;21(10):1817-8.
- Abla A, Ivan ME, Lawton MT. Subtemporal-Medial Transpetrous (Kawase) Approach for Anterior Inferior Cerebellar Artery Aneurysm Clipping: Operative 3D Video. Neurosurgery. 2014 Sep;10 Suppl 3:488; discussion 488-9.
- Breshears JD, Ivan ME, Theodosopoulos P, Berger MS. Glioblastoma of the trigeminal nerve root entry zone: case report. Journal of Neurosurgery 2014. Nov 7: 1-4.
- Ivan ME, Han SJ, Aghi MK.. Tumors of the anterior skull base. Expert Rev Neurother. 2014 Apr;14(4):425-38. Epub 2014 Feb 25. Review
- Bloch O, Sun MZ, Ivan ME, Clark A, Safaee M, Oh T, Sayegh E, Kaur, G, Parsa AT. Survival Impact of Time to Initiation of Chemoradiotherapy After Resection of Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma. Journal of Neurosurgery 2013
- Oh T, Fakurnejad S, Sayegh ET, Clark AJ, Ivan ME, Sun MZ, Safaee M, Bloch O, James CJ, Parsa AT. Immunocompetent Murine Models for the Study of Glioblastoma Immunotherapy. J Transl Med. 2014 Apr 29;12(1):107
- Ivan ME, Iorgulescu JB, El-Sayed I, Pletcher S, Parsa AT, Aghi M. Risk factors for postoperative CSF leak and meningitis after endoscopic endonasal surgery. J Clin Neurosci. 2015 Jan;22(1):48-54
- Sun MZ, Ivan ME, Clark A, Oh MC, Delance AR, Safaee M, Kaur G, Bloch O, Oh T, Molinaro A, Gupta N, Parsa AT. Effects of adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation on overall survival in children with choroid plexus carcinoma. J Neurooncol. 2014 Nov;120(2):353-60.
- Englot DJ, Han S, Rolston J, Ivan ME, Kuperman RA, Chang EF, Gupta N, Sullivan JE, Auguste KI. Epilepsy surgery failure in children: A quantitative and qualitative analysis. JNS Pediatrics 2014 Oct;14(4):386-95.
- Ivan ME, Yarlagadda J, Saxena A, Martin AJ, Starr P, Sootsman K, Larson PS. Brain Shift Analysis During Burr Hole Based Procedures Using Interventional MRI. J Neurosurg. 2014 Jul;121(1):149-60.
- Safaee M, Ivan M, Oh M, Oh T, Sayegh E, Kaur G, Sun MZ, Bloch O, Parsa AT. "The Role of Epidermal Growth Factor-Like Module Containing Mucin-Like Hormone Receptor 2 in Human Cancers." Oncology Reviews 2013.
- Cheng JS, Ivan ME, Stapleton C, Quinones-Hinojosa, A, Lyon, R, Auguste, K. Response to editorial: Use of intraoperative monitoring in children. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2014 Jun;13(6):590.
- Cheng JS, Ivan ME, Stapleton C, Quinones-Hinojosa, A, Lyon, R, Auguste, K. Intraoperative Transcranial Motor-Evoked Potentials Predict Motor Outcome in Children with Intramedullary Spinal Cord Tumors. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2014 Jun;13(6):591-9.
- Clark AJ, Tang JA, Leasure JM, Ivan ME, Kondrashov D, Buckley JM, Deviren V, Ames CP. Gait-simulating fatigue loading analysis and sagittal alignment failure of spinal pelvic reconstruction after total sacrectomy: comparison of 3 techniques. J Neurosurg Spine. 2014 Apr;20(4):364-70.
- Garcia RM, Ivan ME, Oh T, Barani I, Parsa AT. Intraventricular neurocytomas: A systematic review of stereotactic radiosurgery and fractionated conventional radiotherapy for residual or recurrent tumors. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2014 Feb;117:55-64.
- Sun MZ, Ivan ME, Clark AJ, Oh MC, Delance AR, Oh T, Safaee M, Kaur G, Bloch O, Molinaro A, Gupta N, Parsa AT. Gross total resection improves overall survival in children with choroid plexus carcinoma. J Neurooncol. 2014 Jan;116(1):179-85.
- Sun MZ, Oh MC, Ivan ME, Kaur G, Safaee M, Kim JM, Phillips JJ, Auguste KI, Parsa AT. Current management of choroid plexus carcinomas. Neurosurg Rev. 2013 Sep 26.
- Safaee M, Clark AJ, Ivan ME, Oh MC, Bloch O, Sun MZ, Oh T, Parsa AT. CD97 is a multifunctional leukocyte receptor with distinct roles in human cancers (Review) Int J Oncol. 2013 Nov;43(5):1343-50. Epub 2013 Aug 22.
- Sun MZ, Kim JM, Oh MC, Safaee M, Kaur G, Clark AJ, Bloch O, Ivan ME, Kaur R, Oh T, Fouse SD, Phillips JJ, Berger MS, Parsa AT. Na?/K?-ATPase ß2-subunit (AMOG) expression abrogates invasion of glioblastoma-derived brain tumor-initiating cells. Neuro Oncol. 2013 Nov;15(11):1518-31.
- Englot DJ, Rutkowski MJ, Ivan ME, Sun PP, Kuperman RA, Chang EF, Gupta N, Sullivan JE, Auguste KI. Effects of temporal lobectomy on consciousness-impairing and consciousness-sparing seizures in children. Childs Nerv Syst. 2013 Oct;29(10):1915-22
- Safaee M, Clark AJ, Oh MC, Ivan ME, Bloch O, Kaur G, Sun MZ, Kim JM, Oh T, Berger MS, Parsa AT. Overexpression of CD97 confers an invasive phenotype in glioblastoma cells and is associated with decreased survival of glioblastoma patients. PLoS One. 2013 Apr 6;8(4):e62765
- Ivan ME, Nathan J, Manley G, Huang M. Placement of a Subdural Evacuating Port System for Management of Iatrogenic Hyperacute Subdural Hemorrhage Following Intracranial Monitor Placement. J Clin Neurosci. 2013 Dec;20(12):1767-70.
- Ivan ME, Jahangiri A, El-Sayed IH, Aghi MK. Minimally invasive approaches to the anterior skull base. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2013 Jan; 24(1): 19-37.
- Oh MC, Ivan ME, Sun MZ, Kaur BS, Safaee BS, Kim JM, Sayegh ET, Aranda D, Parsa AT. Adjuvant radiotherapy delays recurrence following subtotal resection of spinal cord ependymomas. Neuro Oncol. 2013 Feb;15(2):208-15.
- Ivan ME, Lawton MT. Microsurgical Mini Supraorbital Keyhole Approach to Inferior Lobe Cavernous Malformations. J Neurol Surg A Cent Eur Neurosurg. 2013 May;74(3):187-91.
- Ivan ME, Cheng, JS, Sughrue ME, Kane AJ, Aranda D, McDermott M, Barani IJ, Parsa AT. Association of morbidity with extent of resection and cavernous sinus invasion in sphenoid wing meningiomas. J Neuro Surg B Skull Base. 2012 Feb;73(1)76-83.
- Han, SJ. Clark AJ, Sughrue ME, Ivan ME, Aranda D, Rutkowski MJ, Kane AJ, Chang S, Parsa AT. Pathology of pineal parenchymal tumors. Neurosurgery Clin N Am. 2011 Jul;22(3)335-40
- Ivan ME , Sughrue ME, Clark AJ, Kane AJ, Aranda D, Barani IJ, Parsa AT. A meta-analysis of tumor control rates and treatment-related morbidity for patients with glomus jugulare tumors. J Neurosurg. 2011 May;114(5):1299-305
- Clark AJ, Sughrue ME, Ivan ME, Aranda D, Rutkowski MJ, Kane AJ, Chang S, Parsa AT. Factors influencing overall survival rates for patients with pineocytoma. J Neurooncol 2010;100(2):255-60
- Yang I, Sughrue ME, Rutkowski MJ, Kaur R, Ivan ME, Aranda D, Barani IJ, Parsa AT. Craniopharyngioma: a comparison of tumor control with various treatment strategies. Neurosurg Focus 2010;28(4):E5.
- Clark AJ, Ivan ME, Sughrue ME, Yang I, Aranda D, Han SJ, Kane AJ, Parsa AT. Tumor control after surgery and radiotherapy for pineocytoma. J Neurosurg. 2010. Aug 113(2): 319-24
- Book Chapter: Ivan, ME, Rutledge WC, Lew V, Aghi MK. Neurocritical Care Management of the Neurosurgical Patient: Ch 18. Skull Base Tumors 2014.
- Book Chapter: Ivan, ME, Tate M, Clarke J. Malignant Gliomas. Neurology In Practice, series ed. Gross, Robert and Mink, Jonathan. Chapter in Neuro-Oncology vol, ed. Packer, Roger and Schiff, David.Wiley- Blackwell publishers 2011.
Dr. Michael E. Ivan is currently an Assistant Professor at the University of Miami where he acts as Jackson South's Chief of Cranial Neurosurgery and Neuro-oncology Service and Co-Director of Neurosurgery. He is also the Director of Research for the University of Miami Brain Tumor Initiative within Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. He is an active member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons and is a leader among his peers, serving as an executive member of the Young Neurosurgeon's Committee for the American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
Dr. Ivan graduated from Cornell University and received his Doctorate of Medicine and Master's Degree from UMDNJ/Rutgers University. While at Rutgers Medical School, he served as President of his class and was honored as a Gold Humanism Scholar. He then completed his neurological surgery training at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), consistently ranked as one of the top neurosurgical training programs in the United States. At UCSF, Dr. Ivan focused on the treatment and management of brain tumors, vascular malformations, and skull base lesions. He was awarded the Howard Naffziger award for best clinical resident and received multiple awards for his research on brain tumors and stereotactic neurosurgery. As a testament to his dedication to medical education, Dr. Ivan was awarded the Teaching Excellence Award for Cherished Housestaff from UCSF. After residency, he moved to Miami and completed a fellowship in Neuro-Oncology at the University of Miami (UM). At UM, he continues his research on minimally invasive brain tumor management with state of the art treatments, including laser interstitial thermal therapy and fluorescence guided surgery.
The primary focus of Dr. Ivan's clinical, academic, and research interests has been on the microenvironment of brain tumors and their invasive qualities. He has published more than 45 manuscripts and textbook chapters and has presented his work at multiple national neurosurgical meetings. In recognition for his post-doctorate work on the role of glioma pathogenesis and invasion, he received a research grant from the Neurosurgery Research and Education Foundation (NREF). Dr. Ivan's laboratory is currently continuing his brain tumor research with the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.
AANS - Young Neurosurgeons Committee: Medical Student Task Force Chair 2015
AANS - Young Neurosurgeons Committee: Liaison to History Section 2014-present
AANS - Young Neurosurgeons Committee: Liaison to Scientific Planning Committee 2014-present
AANS - Young Neurosurgeons Committee:Top Gun Subcommittee 2014-2015
Society of Neurooncology: Member 2014 to present
Florida Medical Association: Member 2015
Florida Board of Medicine: 2015
American Association of Neurological Surgeons: Tumor section member; 2010 to present
American Association of Neurological Surgeons: CV Section Member 2010 to present
Congress of Neurological Surgeons: Member 2009 to present
American Association of Neurological Surgeons: Member 2009 to present
everyone was very helpful even in providing directions in and out of the office.