Yao-Shan Fan, M.D., Ph.D.
- Fax: 305-256-5081
- American Board of Medical Gen- Clinical Cytogenetics
- Clinical Cytogenetics-Medical Genetics
- Clinical Genetics(MD)-Medical Genetics
- Director, Cytogenetics and Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory
- Professor of Pathology
- Professor, Clinical Educator
Providing timely and accurate laboratory tests and precise interpretation of the results is my mandate.
Current laboratory testing:
1. Cytogenetic studies and fluorescence in situ hybridizaton (FISH) for daignosis and treatment of hematological malignancies.
2. Molecular studies on biomarkers such as HER2, EGFR, KRAS and BRAF for targeted cancer therapies.
3. Prenatal and postnatal diagnosis of developmental disorders including autism stectrum disorders caused by pathogenic genomic variations, using comparative genomic hybridization (CGH) and signal nucleotide polymorphim (SNP)arrays.
Cytogenomic studies on developmental disorders and molecular testing for huan cancer treatment
American's Top Physicians
WHO'S WHO Historical Society
Ontario Medical Association
1992 Postdoctoral Fellowship
University of Alberta
1990 Postdoctoral Fellowship
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Harbin Medical University
Suzhou Medical College
Yao-Shan Fan, MD, PhD, is a Professor of Pathology, Clinical Educator, and Director of Cytogenetics & Molecular Laboratory at University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. He graduated from Suzhou Medical College and received his PhD from Harbin Medical University. He completed 4 years of postdoctoral fellowship in Roswell Park Cancer Institute, New York, in the areas of cancer genetics and human molecular genetics, and then 2-year training in clinical cytogenetics at University of Alberta and one year additional training in clinical molecular genetics as McMaster University, Canada. As a certified clinical cytogeneticist by Canadian College of Medical Geneticists (CCMG) and American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG), he worked as a lab director, Assistant and Associate Professor at the University of Western Ontario, and the Chair of the Genetics Committee, Laboratory Proficiency Testing Program in Canada as well as a member of the CCMG Cytogenetics Committee. As one of the pioneers of FISH technology, he authored the book, “Molecular Cytogenetics: Protocols and Applications” and contributed to “Encyclopedia of Medical Genomics and Proteomics” as an Editorial Advisory. He was recognized by WHO’S WHO in 2003 for his exemplary achievement and awarded as one of The Best Doctors in America 2011-2012. His current research and services focuses on cytogenomic studies of developmental disorders and molecular diagnosis of human cancers.