Ernesto A. Pretto, Jr., M.D., MPH
- Fax: 305-243-5846
- American Board of Anesthesiology-Critical Care Medicine
- American Board of Anesthesiology
- Epidemiology & Public Health
- Critical Care Medicine-Anesthesiology
- Chief, Division of Solid Organ Transplant
- Professor of Clinical Anesthesiology
Liver and Multivisceral Transplantation
- Hepatic ischemia reperfusion injury
- Preservation of pancreatic islet cells for transplantation
- Emergency and Disaster Preparedness
Best Doctors of America
Stable Liquid Formulations of Volatile Gas Anesthetics
2002 M.B.A. (Mini)
Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh
University of Pittsburgh
1984 Fellow in Critical Care Research
International Resuscitation Research Center/University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
1983 Fellow in Critical Care Medicine
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)
1982 Fellow in Cardiac Anesthesia
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1982 Resident in Anesthesiology
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1979 Resident in General Surgery
Gorgas US Army Hospital (MEDDAC Panama Canal Zone)
Santo Tomas Hospital, Panama
University of Panama
- Reversal of Hypercoagulability by Thromboelastography (TEG) with Hydroxyethyl Starch (HES) During Transplantation: A Case Series. J Clin Anesth 2011
- Central pontine myelinolysis (CPM) associated with tacrolimus (FK506) after liver transplantation. Fukazawa K, Nishida S, Aguina L, Pretto E Jr. Ann Transplant. 2011 Sep 30;16(3):139-42. PMID: 21959523 [PubMed - in process]
- Nicardipine reverses vasoactivity associated with university of wisconsin solution in the rat peripheral circulation. Raveh Y, Lubarsky DA, Pretto EA Jr, Proctor KG. Transplant Proc. 2011 Sep;43(7):2540-9. PMID: 21911120 [PubMed - in process]
- Devastating intracardiac and aortic thrombosis: a case report of apparent catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome during liver transplantation. Gologorsky E, Andrews DM, Gologorsky A, Sampathi V, Sundararaman L, Govindaswamy R, Raveh Y, Tzakis AG, Pretto EA Jr. J Clin Anesth. 2011 Aug;23(5):398-402. Epub 2011 Jul 8. PMID: 21741809 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Surgery under extreme conditions in the aftermath of the 2010 Haiti earthquake: the importance of regional anesthesia. Missair A, Gebhard R, Pierre E, Cooper L, Lubarsky D, Frohock J, Pretto EA Jr. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2010 Nov-Dec;25(6):487-93. PMID: 21181680 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Poor outcome following aborted orthotopic liver transplantation due to severe porto-pulmonary hypertension. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2010 Jul;17(4):505-8. Epub 2010 Feb 6. PubMed PMID: 20714839
- Methylene blue (MB) during orthotopic liver transplantation (OLT) has no beneficial effect on either post-reperfusion syndrome (PRS) or postoperative graft function. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2010
- Body surface area index predicts outcome in orthotopic liver transplantation. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2010 Oct 9. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 20936303.
- Rapid assessment and safe management of severe pulmonary hypertension with milrinone during orthotopic liver transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2010 Jul;24(4):515-9
- Internal jugular valve and central catheter placement. Anesthesiology. 2010 Apr;112(4):979. PubMed PMID: 20216384.
- Is the immediate reversal of diastolic dysfunction of cirrhotic cardiomyopathy after liver transplantation a sign of the metabolic etiology? Liver Transpl 2009; 15: 1417-1419
- 100 Multivisceral transplants at a single center. Ann Surg. 2005 Oct; 242 (4):480-90.
Ernesto A. Pretto, Jr. M.D., M.P.H. (Epidemiology) is currently Professor and Chief, Division of Solid Organ Transplant and Vascular Anesthesia, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative Medicine and Pain Management, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Pretto is a Diplomate of the American Board of Anesthesiology with Special Qualifications in Critical Care Medicine. He graduated from the Faculty of Medicine, University of Panama, Republic of Panama and completed residency training in Anesthesiology with Fellowships in Cardiac Anesthesia at Jacobi Hospital and Cardiology research at Montefiore Medical Center, New York, Albert Einstein School of Medicine of Yeshival University. He also completed a 2-year Fellowship in Critical Care Medicine and Research, at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) and the Safar Center for Resuscitation Research (SCRR). He was Associate Director of the SCRR and continues to hold a joint appointment as Associate Scientist. In addition he is Adjunct Professor, at the Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh. He was selected as a Super Doctor and Best Doctor in America for 2011-2012.
Dr. Pretto¹s research has covered a wide range of fields in Medicine and Public Health, including basic science research on organ preservation solutions for Islet Cell Transplantation. He holds a US provisional patent entitled: stable liquid formulations of volatile gas anesthetics. Current research is on the use of ultra stable nano-emulsified formulations of volatile anesthetics for intravenous administration as general anesthetic, topical anesthetic, and as an adjunct for cell, tissue and organ preservation or resuscitation. He was a semifinalist for the 2012 Cade Museum Prize for Innovation and Invention.