Mauricio G. Cohen, M.D.
- Fax: 305-243-5578
- Cardiology-Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Interventional Cardiology - Internal Medicine
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Director, Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
Complex percutaneous coronary interventions
TAVR - Valvuloplasty
TMVR - Edge-to-edge mitral valve repair with Mitral Clip
Transradial catheterization and interventions
Structural heart disease
Transradial catheterization and interventions
Structural heart disease - TAVR
Antithrombotic strategies for percutaneous coronary interventions
The Robert J Myerburg Outstanding Academic Cardiology Faculty Award
First Place Winner – Interactive Moderated Case Session – SCAI 2013
Frank Hildner Elite Reviewer 2012 Award
Society of Cardiac Angiography and Interventions Emerging Leaders Mentorship
FHRI Stop Heart Disease Researcher of the Year Award
American Heart Association Top Ten Advances in Cardiovascular Research in 2010
1999 Cardiology Fellowship
1996 Residency and Cardiology Fellowship
Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires
- Washam JB, Herzog CA, Beitelshees AL, Cohen MG, Henry TD, Kapur NK, Menon V, Mega JL, Page RL, Newby LK. AHA Statement: Pharmacotherapy in chronic kidney disease patients presenting with acute coronary syndrome. Circulation 2015;131:1123-49.
- Badheka AO, Patel NJ, Grover P, Singh V, Patel N, Arora S, Chothani A, Mehta K, Deshmukh A, Savani GT, Patel A, Panaich SS, Shah N, Rathod A, Brown M, Mohamad T, Tamburrino FV, Kar S, Makkar R, O'Neill WW, De Marchena E, Schreiber T, Grines CL, Rihal CS, Cohen MG. Impact of annual operator and institutional volume on percutaneous coronary intervention outcomes: a 5-year United States experience (2005-2009). Circulation. 2014;130:1392-1406.
- Feldman DN, Swaminathan RV, Kaltenback LA, Baklanov DV, Kim LK, Wong C, Minutello RM, Messenger JC, Moussa I, Garratt KN, Piana RN, Hillegass WB, Cohen MG, Gilchrist IC, Rao SV. Adoption of radial access and comparison of outcomes to femoral access in percutaneous coronary intervention: An updated report from the NCDR® (2007-2012). Circulation 2013;127:2295-2306
- Cohen MG, Purdy DA, Rossi JS, Grinfeld LR, Myles SK, Aberle LH, Greenbaum AB, Fry E, Chan MY, Tonkens RM, Zelenkofske S, Alexander JH, Harrington RA, Rusconi CP, Becker RC. First clinical application of an actively reversible direct factor IXa inhibitor as an anticoagulation strategy in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention. Circulation 2010; 122:614-622.
- Cohen MG, Fonarow, GC, Peterson ED, Moscucci M, Dai D, Hernandez AF, Bonow RO, Smith SC, Jr. Racial and ethnic differences in the treatment of acute myocardial infarction: findings from the Get With The Guidelines – CAD Program. Circulation 2010; 121:2294-2301.
- Badheka AO, Patel NJ, Grover P, Singh V, Patel N, Arora S, Chothani A, Mehta K, Deshmukh A, Savani GT, Patel A, Panaich SS, Shah N, Rathod A, Brown M, Mohamad T, Tamburrino FV, Kar S, Makkar R, O'Neill WW, De Marchena E, Schreiber T, Grines CL, Rihal CS, Cohen MG. Impact of annual operator and institutional volume on percutaneous coronary intervention outcomes: a 5-year United States experience (2005-2009). Circulation. 2014;130:1392-1406
- Tanawuttiwat T, O'Neill BP, Cohen MG, Chinthakanan O, Heldman AW, Martinez CA, Alfonso CE, Mitrani RD, Macon CJ, Carrillo RG, Williams DB, O'Neill WW, Myerburg RJ. New-onset atrial fibrillation after aortic valve replacement: comparison of transfemoral, transapical, transaortic, and surgical approaches. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:1510-1519
- Singh V, Cohen MG. Therapy in ST-elevation myocardial infarction: reperfusion strategies, pharmacology and stent selection. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med. 2014;16:302
- O'Neill BP, O'Neill WW, Williams D, Cohen MG, Heldman AW, Macon C, Martinez CA, Alfonso CE, Clark PM, Velasquez O, Seo D, Clermont PG, Moscucci M. Impact of CMS coverage decision on access to transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2014;84:114-121
- O'Neill B, Singh V, Kini A, Mehran R, Jacobs E, Knopf D, Alfonso CE, Martinez CA, Martinezclark P, O'Neill W, Heldman AW, Yu J, Baber U, Kovacic JC, Dangas G, Sharma S, Sartori S, Cohen MG. The use of vascular closure devices and impact on major bleeding and net adverse clinical events (NACEs) in balloon aortic valvuloplasty: a sub-analysis of the BRAVO study. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2014;83:148-153
- Makkar RR, Jilaihawi H, Mack M, Chakravarty T, Cohen DJ, Cheng W, Fontana GP, Bavaria JE, Thourani VH, Herrmann HC, Pichard A, Kapadia S, Babaliaros V, Whisenant BK, Kodali SK, Williams M, Trento A, Smith CR, Teirstein PS, Cohen MG, Xu K, Tuzcu EM, Webb JG, Leon MB. Stratification of outcomes after transcatheter aortic valve replacement according to surgical inoperability for technical versus clinical reasons. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:901-911
- Lardizabal JA, Macon CJ, O'Neill BP, Singh V, Martinez CA, Alfonso C, Cohen MG, Williams DB, O'Neill WW, Heldman AW. Clinical outcomes with on-label and off-label use of the transcatheter heart valve in the United States. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2014;84:124-128
- Jacobs E, Singh V, Damluji A, Shah NR, Warsch JL, Ghanta R, Martin P, Alfonso CE, Martinez CA, Moscucci M, Cohen MG. Safety of transradial cardiac catheterization in patients with end-stage liver disease. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2014;83:360-366
- Cohen MG, Ghatak A, Kleiman NS, Naidu SS, Massaro JM, Kirtane AJ, Moses J, Magnus Ohman E, Dzavik V, Palacios IF, Heldman AW, Popma JJ, O'Neill WW. Optimizing rotational atherectomy in high-risk percutaneous coronary interventions: Insights from the PROTECT IotaIota study. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2014;83:1057-1064
- Badheka AO, Patel NJ, Singh V, Shah N, Chothani A, Mehta K, Deshmukh A, Ghatak A, Rathod A, Desai H, Savani GT, Grover P, Patel N, Arora S, Grines CL, Schreiber T, Makkar R, Rihal CS, Cohen MG, De Marchena E, O'Neill WW. Percutaneous aortic balloon valvotomy in the United States: a 13-year perspective. Am J Med. 2014;127:744-753 e743
- Rodes-Cabau J, Dauerman HL, Cohen MG, Mehran R, Small EM, Smyth SS, Costa MA, Mega JL, O'Donoghue ML, Ohman EM, Becker RC. Antithrombotic Treatment in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation: Insights for Cerebrovascular and Bleeding Events. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;62:2349-2359
- Ribeiro HB, Webb JG, Makkar RR, Cohen MG, Kapadia SR, Kodali S, Tamburino C, Barbanti M, Chakravarty T, Jilaihawi H, Paradis JM, de Brito FS, Jr., Canovas SJ, Cheema AN, de Jaegere PP, Del Valle R, Chiam PT, Moreno R, Pradas G, Ruel M, Salgado-Fernandez J, Sarmento-Leite R, Toeg HD, Velianou JL, Zajarias A, Babaliaros V, Cura F, Dager AE, Manoharan G, Lerakis S, Pichard AD, Radhakrishnan S, Perin MA, Dumont E, Larose E, Pasian SG, Nombela-Franco L, Urena M, Tuzcu EM, Leon MB, Amat-Santos IJ, Lei
- Povsic TJ, Vavalle JP, Aberle LH, Kasprzak JD, Cohen MG, Mehran R, Bode C, Buller CE, Montalescot G, Cornel JH, Rynkiewicz A, Ring ME, Zeymer U, Natarajan M, Delarche N, Zelenkofske SL, Becker RC, Alexander JH, Investigators R. A Phase 2, randomized, partially blinded, active-controlled study assessing the efficacy and safety of variable anticoagulation reversal using the REG1 system in patients with acute coronary syndromes: results of the RADAR trial. Eur Heart J. 2013;34:2481-2489
- Lardizabal JA, O'Neill BP, Desai HV, Macon CJ, Rodriguez AP, Martinez CA, Alfonso CE, Bilsker MS, Carillo RG, Cohen MG, Heldman AW, O'Neill WW, Williams DB. The transaortic approach for transcatheter aortic valve replacement: initial clinical experience in the United States. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61:2341-2345
- Cohen MG, Singh V, Martinez CA, O'Neill BP, Alfonso CE, Martinezclark PO, Heldman AW, O'Neill WW. Transseptal antegrade transcatheter aortic valve replacement for patients with no other access approach-A contemporary experience. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2013;82:987-993
- Guzman LA, Li S, Wang TY, Daviglus ML, Exaire J, Rodriguez CJ, Torres VI, Funk M, Saucedo J, Granger C, Pina IL, Cohen MG. Differences in treatment patterns and outcomes between Hispanics and non-Hispanic Whites treated for ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: results from the NCDR ACTION Registry-GWTG. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59:630-631
- Cohen MG, Rossi JS, Garbarino J, Bowling R, Motsinger-Reif AA, Schuler C, Dupont AG, Gabriel D. Insights into the inhibition of platelet activation by omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: beyond aspirin and clopidogrel. Thromb Res. 2011;128:335-340
Mauricio G. Cohen, MD, FACC, FSCAI is an interventional cardiologist and tenured Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. He attended Medical School at Universidad Nacional de Tucumán in Argentina. He did his medicine/cardiology training at Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires in Argentina and subsequently did an interventional cardiology and clinical research fellowship at Duke University Medical Center and the Duke Clinical Research Institute. In 2000, he joined the interventional cardiology staff at Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires, one of the leading medical institutions in South America, and also worked as a clinical trials reviewer for ANMAT (Administración Nacional de Medicamentos, Alimentos y Tecnologías Médicas – National Administration for Medicines, Foods and Medical Technologies) between 2000 and 2002. In 2003, he joined the Division of Cardiology at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he was part of the interventional faculty and the director of cardiology clinical trials. Dr. Cohen is currently the Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at University of Miami Hospital. He conducted a multicenter phase IIa multicenter clinical trial and acted as local PI in more than 10 multi- and single-center clinical trials. In 2011, he received the “Stop Heart Disease Researcher of the Year Award” by the Florida Heart Research Institute. The Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions recognized Dr. Cohen as an “Emerging Leader” in the field of interventional cardiology. Dr. Cohen has published more than 100 papers in peer-reviewed journals. His major clinical and research interests include novel antithrombotic strategies, transradial cardiac catheterization and intervention, complex percutaneous coronary interventions, transcatheter valve therapies, and health disparities.